MSU Dept of Sociology

Home / graduate / Degree Requirements / Qualifying Papers Written Elsewhere

Qualifying Papers Written Elsewhere

Students who have started graduate programs elsewhere and transferred into our Department may have already written papers that meet the requirements for our Qualifying Paper (previously called Second Year paper). To be acceptable, the paper must use some form of data and must use social science methodology to answer some question in the social science literature. A master's degree using approaches other than social science will not be accepted. While social science content is necessary, it is not necessary that the degree be received from a Social Science Department. To be officially approved as meeting the Qualifying Paper requirement, such papers must be approved by two faculty members who have agreed to advise the incoming student. This approval may be issued, before the student arrives, if the student sends the Department the paper. The approval shall consist of a letter to the Graduate Coordinator, signed by both approving faculty members.