Applying to the Graduate Program
In order to be considered for both admission and financial assistance your application must be entirely complete by January 1st.
We will not admit applicants who are only interested in an MA degree
To: Applicants for Graduate Study in Sociology
From: Cliff Broman, Graduate Program Coordinator
We are pleased to learn of your interest in our graduate program in sociology at Michigan State University. We believe that we have an exciting program, covering important substantive areas, many methodologies, and a strong international emphasis.
On our web site are instructions on applying to our Department as well as the forms needed for doing so. If applying, you must submit all of the following
- The Department of Sociology admissions application (4 page form). This application is also required along with the university admissions application. This form should be sent directly to the graduate secretary in the Department of Sociology.
- Three rating (recommendations) forms. These should be given to the people from whom you wish recommendations. Each of the evaluators should be instructed to send the forms directly to the department. You may use this form provided or you may also opt to use the "Letter of Recommendation for Admission" form provided by the university.
- The Michigan State University admissions application. Please, also complete the Department of Sociology Application for Graduate Admission Form.
- GRE scores: we require the verbal, quantitative and analytical sections but not the subject test.
- Transcripts: The University requires one official transcript from all colleges and universities you have ever attended, and these need to be sent directly to the graduate secretary in the Department of Sociology.
- An Academic Writing Sample such as a course paper or article from 10-25 pages in length. You may choose to send this via e-mail to the graduate secretary, Tammy Spangler.
How to obtain the forms and information you need. Click on Application Materials at the top of this frame and you will see a list of forms and other information for applicants. The Department admissions application and recommendation forms can be obtained there. The Michigan State University admissions application may be found and submitted on-line via the MSU Graduate School web site.
We require students to begin their programs in the Fall semester, as our orientation program and course schedule is geared to that, although some international students may wish to use the preceding summer to take English language courses.
If you have further questions after studying these materials, please do not hesitate to write, or contact me by electronic mail or fax at (517) 432-2856.